Camp Square The area now known as Camp Square has developed over Gilwell’s Scouting lifetime and at various points has contained a grocery store, dancing board, Rover Scout den, storm hut, museum and hospital. Located at the bottom of the original camping fields Camp Square contains some of the earliest Scout built structures on site. The earliest buildings were the Providore and Morgan Hut. The Providore supplied non-perishable supplies to those staying on site, in the 1920s shoppers may have enjoyed the novelty of being served by Baden-Powell himself if he happened to be on site. The Morgan Hut provided equipment storage for groups who visited Gilwell on a regular basis. For many years an enormous international flag mast towered over the square. It was used to fly the country flags of the Scouts camping on site. Since 1968 Big Mac, the clock tower named after former Camp Warden Alfred Mackintosh, has provided the Square’s centre point. Most surprisingly the Square also contained a hospital with a staff of Doctors, Nurses and First-Aiders ready to care for the minor injuries and illnesses of those staying at Gilwell. Scouter Dr. Bob McQueen led the “Barnacle Hospital Crew”. From this the name “The Barnacle” was adopted for the hospital. In 1958 Bill Campbell of the Boy Scouts of America raised the funds to improve the hospital with new buildings and better facilities. The hospital finally closed and crew disbanded in 1983. The statue of “The Boy Scout” by Tait McKenzie was donated by the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) in 1966. It was originally located off Wilson Way. It is a copy of a statue which stood outside the Philadelphia headquarters of the BSA from 1937 to 2013.